Deerpark CBS is the oldest school on the southside of Cork City. The school was founded in 1828 on Sullivan’s Quay by the Christian Brothers. The secondary school section of the ‘Quay’ eventually moved to our present location in 1968. Back then, the school was known both as Deerpark CBS and Colaiste Iognaid Ris.
The foundation stone of Deerpark CBS was laid by Bishop Lucey in 1967, who called on the students of the school to be “good people in their homes, good Cork people and to grow up in the traditions of the people that went before them”.
Over our 190 years, Deerpark CBS has produced students such as those described above.
For a more comprehensive history of the school, please see the book ‘The Quay’ edited by past pupil, and Cork City Councillor, Mick Finn. Copies of this are in Cork City Library and a limited number of copies are available